Wednesday, December 14, 2011

How Much Does It Cost?

I ask again, how much do things cost? Trying to the find the cost of anything these days requires some diligent research.  Is there a one day sale? Do I get a percentage off if I use a credit card? How much is it if I have a "store" card? Do I need to produce the coupon I was emailed? If I sign up for yet another credit card how much will the store take off? It's insane!

Recently I shopped a "pre-sale" in a small luxury store. The sale didn't start for two days but I could get the sale price that day if I were willing to wait for my items to be shipped FREE. What kind of math is that?   Let's get this straight - the store was willing to give me the sale price that day if I could wait for an employee to pack it in a box and pay to ship it to my house. AND since I bought more than $50 worth of items I received a another $35 item free.  From that last bit I conclude that the $35 item wasn't worth more than a dollar. Is that any way to run a business? They could have just given me the sale price and I would have taken it home saving the cost of the employee required to box it and the cost of shipping. Completely nuts!

Then there's the scam of those store cards. I went into CVS, a store I rarely shop in, to buy something, I don't remember what but probably some cold medicine I needed right then.  The price was listed in large red numbers under the item and when I got to the register I had to pay almost double for the item because I didn't have a store card. What kind of sh** is that? I guess there was some XXXfine print that explained this but even with my glasses on I couldn't read it. I don't want a store card.  I've got too many cards in my wallet already.  I felt totally ripped off. No, I was totally ripped off.

Grocery stores do the same thing with their "cards". At the end of your purchase the checker informs you how much you "saved" by using your card.  How about if the goods were accurately priced in the first place. I avoid supermarkets most of the time for that very reason. During the last weeks long strike by supermarket employees, I, as a union member, refused to cross the picket line.  I discovered a small family market with superior produce and a fabulous meat counter and have shopped there ever since. Another plus, they play Hawaiian music in the background. Their produce is fresher and cheaper than the supers. Their meat is more expensive but it is flavorful, tender, and I can get the exact amount I want. AND they have no "card"!  The price is the price is the price. What a relief! We also shop at Trader Joe's, another store with no member cards and honest prices.

I can't let this go until I complain about big stores whose "one day" sales have gone on every day since Thanksgiving. Why not just have a holiday sale until Christmas and let it go? Save some advertising dollars.  If I'm out shopping and have forgotten my coupon that's license to rip me off. Let's not forget using the store credit card. Use it and you get money off, apply for it and you win the savings jackpot. What the hell? Are all stores going bankrupt from marking goods down OR is the sale price a more accurate reflection of the item's true cost?

I am becoming increasingly convinced that all goods everywhere are marked up so retailers can mark them down enticing shoppers in to "save money". If you buy an item, guess what, you're not saving money you're spending it. I could ask,"How stupid does the retail industry think we are?" But I already know answer. Consumers are gullible and incapable of critical thinking.

Lest you think I've opted out of the crazy retail games, I can tell you I'm no exception. I applied for a Sears card to save money on a new refrigerator and an REI VISA to get a $100 gift card.  So here I am with two cards I'll never use just to "save" some money.

Used to be only car prices were hiked up and subject to negotiation. Everyone knew it and acted accordingly.  Not any more. Now everywhere you go you have to wonder, how much should this really cost and am I carrying the right cards and coupons for this store? What a scam.

1 comment:

  1. I agree it's a scam. At Macy's recently, a women showed me her receipt for an item she had purchased recently. She was astonished and outraged to see that the original price had changed. They had increased the original price so that they could reduce the price for the holiday sale. Imagine all the hours store employees spent replacing clothing tags to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete