Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pamper Yourself

Yesterday I decided to spend my birthday money and treat myself to a massage and a facial to ease my anxiety and tension about the holidays.  Looking on the internet, I found several spas in my area.  I was disappointed that the spa I usually patronize was closed on Monday.  I found one not too far away and called.  The woman told me that they would be open Wednesday when her remodel was finished. I declined, wanting a more immediate remedy for my tight shoulders.  The phone rang while I was still cruising the internet.  It was the woman from the remodeling spa. She could provide the services that evening after the construction workers had gone home. I hesitated. No thanks, that's too much trouble.  Oh no trouble she assured me. She didn't want to miss out on a customer.  At this point I must mention that I could tell she was Vietnamese which becomes important later on. How did I know? I have worked with Vietnamese parents and children for 17 years and I can pick out their accents.

I finally agreed.  The price was right and what the hell, I'd open my mind and give it a try.  I got there a little before 6 pm. I opened the door and was surprised to see a bona fide construction zone. Steel beams, piles of tile, trenches cut in the marble floor.  This remodel is not going to be finished in one more day I thought. A woman named Becky (Vietnamese, of course, just like I thought) greeted me and steered me back to the first room past the lobby construction. Not a great room but adequate. A massage table, some weird machines, a chair and some ceiling open to the roof.

Becky told me she would do a Thai massage first and then the facial. We had to go through this more than once since her accent was so heavy.  That's saying something because I'm pretty good at understanding Vietnamese English. It started like a regular massage, dim lights, soothing music, and a really fantastic foot massage. It progressed nicely to a hot stone massage which I'd never had before for my upper back. Also very nice. She did keep talking to me and I couldn't understand a word. Unfortunately, she was asking me questions so there were a few puzzles.

It got a little dicey at the end of the massage.  It was the most intimate massage I've ever had and I took the baths at Baden Baden in Germany where everyone walked around naked. So, she's massaging my legs and I swear she got up on the table and pressed on my coccyx and tried to spread my hips (?). All the time I was telling myself, just relax, keep an open mind. Very unusual experience.

I turned over for the roughest facial ever! If you've ever had a facial you know that at some point the aesthetician usually pats your face quickly with both hands.  I swear my teeth were knocking together! No joke.  I was actually paying to be smacked upside the face! And when she took the mask off I think she used wet sand paper - ouch! I'm not a huge fan of facials in the first place but this was really something. My shoulders tensed right up. By this time too my legs were asleep from the knees down. The cushion under my knees was too small and cut off my circulation. That was a new experience.

On the plus side I must admit that the leg and hip massage she did while waiting for the mask to do its thing was great and loosened up my joints.  But it didn't really make up for the smacking and the sandpaper.

Becky was very nice and I know she was doing her best but between the language barrier, the smack down and the coccyx thing I don't think I'll go back. It's interesting that here in Orange County, Vietnamese immigrants have chosen to go into personal service jobs. My own observation has been that "gentle" is not a common cultural characteristic. I've had some pretty rough manicures and pedicures which is why I have  avoided Asian spas in the past. Right about now I'm thinking that might be a pretty good policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment