Sunday, December 18, 2011

Free Speech, Mine and Theirs

I went to the post office the other day to drop off my Christmas cards.  The post office is a good place for people to set up tables for petitions and whatnot.  That day several tables were set up and manned by a bunch of retirees having a good ole time talking to passersby and distributing literature about the evils of the current Washington administration.  There was one poster in particular that I have seen before and find odious and offensive and it was posted on the side of the table that day.

The poster shows President Obama with a Hitlerian mustache.  In what universe can one possible compare Barack Obama with Hitler?  Hitler exterminated over 6 million people and destroyed vast parts of Europe. He tortured, enslaved, and starved millions more. Obama is a lawyer from Illinois who, although he is president, must have approval from Congress to do anything. He is not a dictator or tyrant. Are the people who produce and display such offensive posters so ignorant that they don't know anything about Hitler or World  War II? No. They're bigots who can't think of a more vile comparison and use it as a scare tactic to perpetuate their own fear and hatred. I could say they are uninformed or afraid of change but that would be cutting them too much slack, giving them too much credit. Bigots, racists one and all.

As I left the post office one old man approached me waving a piece of paper saying, "You'll want to read this!" I didn't even turn my head or hesitate.  I walked to my car fuming.  If I had stopped I wouldn't have been able to keep a cool head or use decent language. Next time though, I think I will stop and say a few words. Bigot and racist will be first on my list. Ignorant POS may be next.

Silence allows such hatred and bigotry to spread. No one approaches these people, nice older white guys and gals, except those with like minds.  Most people just walk by and ignore the folks manning the tables. I can see why. If you disagree and speak up, you are outnumbered. You are facing off against a group.  That's why gangs are successful, there is safety in numbers. However, it is high time those of us who disagree with the hatred and lies they spew, stand up to them in public places to make it clear that they are NOT the voice of the people. I am "the people" too  and they do not speak for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment