Friday, June 1, 2012

Confessions of a Book Junkie

You've all seen that bumper sticker: So many books, so little time.  That's something I struggle with.  I've got Anne Tyler's new book partially read on my Kindle.  I started the Steve Jobs biography in hardback, real paper. My iPod is loaded with a 55 hour historical romance The Fiery Cross,  Fool by Christopher Moore, and A Thousand Lives: The Untold Story of Hope, Deception, and Survival at Jonestown by Julia Scheeres. I've started all of these books.  I'm farthest along on the historical romance but am increasingly enthralled by the story of Jim Jones.  And wait, I also have In Cold Blood partially read on my iPad.

I don't know what this says about me. Before I had so many options for reading I might be reading 2 books at a time but this is ridiculous. The worst offender is the Kindle, I can download any book in seconds.  Finish one, download another a minute later. I have more trouble with my Audible library.  I can spend a hour or more trying to find just the right book and come up empty. The subject, the narrator, they have to be a good match. Oh, and then I read the listener reviews, that often kills a book for me. But still, notice I have three on my iPod even though I pay for only two per month.

There are so many interesting, compelling, and entertaining stories out there I just can't resist them.  Instead of getting all of them at the same time I should probably make a list and just go through the list one at a time. But the backlog would be enormous because I hear about great new books all the time. The way I currently read, I can get through lots more books because I can listen to them whilst driving, waiting for appointments, exercising, or doing other boring mundane tasks. The print style books are good for bedtime, sitting outside relaxing or when my feet hurt from standing all day.

If I'm honest I have to admit it: I'm an addict, a junkie. I don't think there are any Books Anonymous groups out there  to help with my addiction either. Just clubs that cater to people like me. And they're not even worth joining. Seriously, one book a month and they call themselves "readers"? Ha! I don't think so.


1 comment:

  1. That's why you are so articulate and intelligent...you read!

    ReplyDelete