Friday, September 2, 2011

Summer Shorts

Eyes.  I've had my last cataract replaced with a bionic lens. Thank god I only have 2 eyes! At the surgery center I was the youngest person there.  Everyone else was born in '30 something judging from the birth dates repeated to nurses checking I.D.'s.  I had no idea that I didn't live in a smog filled city.  That old song, "I can see clearly now the rain is gone..." must apply to cataract patients. Wow, what a lot of color in the world! I have some restrictions for a couple of weeks. No heavy lifting, that gets me out of the gym. No bending over, can't pick up stuff.  No swimming, that's unfortunate since I was just getting in the habit of swimming every couple of days. No eye make-up for two weeks. Umm, a problem.  My eyelashes and brows are blond which means unless I slather on some color, you can't see them. If no one wore makeup I'd look just fine but compared to other women I look a little, shall we say, washed out or even featureless. But since I don't have to look at myself all day I shan't worry.

Puppies. Everyone my age  swears they won't get another dog when their current one expires.  Apparently they have really good memories of what it means to have a puppy.  I, on the other hand, can remember childbirth like it was yesterday but had forgotten the work required to raise a puppy. This little cutie spent too much time at the breeder's house and is not housebroken at six months. So every time she piddles I have to drag the small shop vac up or down the stairs and suck up the mess. Why a shop vac? The people who sold me the carpet said it was the best way to clean up liquids.  Blotting can push the liquid  into the carpet.  Ok, fine! But dragging around the shop vac with it's long cord and bulky hose and cleaning it out....what a pain! Not to mention that I've spent more time in the last couple of weeks standing out on the grass in the backyard waiting for her to pee than you would believe. Morning, afternoon, at night in the dark.  You name it I'm there, waiting, waiting, waiting.

Construction. We finally have the last price for our bathroom update. Hesitation. Now that I have to make the decision to spend the money I choke. I hate spending large amounts of money on house projects.  I have no problem spending money on vacations and frequently spend more than I had planned and have never regretted it. But paying guys to make a mess in my house for weeks on end makes my stomach churn. Even though it's not a bathroom we use, updating it will disrupt the entire house and probably my yard as well.  I have only enjoyed one house project.  We retiled and re-plastered our pool, or rather some guys did.  They arrived after I went to work and were gone when I got home.  Literally, I never saw them. It was priceless.




No comments:

Post a Comment