Friday, September 2, 2011

Pave Paradise, Put Up a Parking Lot

Parking lots. Necessary for those of us who drive cars everywhere. We've all thought about parking lots a few times.  The lot is full. I can't find my car! How do I get out of this parking maze? Sound familiar? But how many of you have thought of the ongoing irritation of the parking lot which is: once you've parked your car and gotten out how are you supposed to get to your destination?  In most lots there are no walkways, no pedestrian right of ways, and precious few crosswalks to protect the "motorist turned pedestrian".

Instead we walk down rows of cars in the middle of what is basically a street hoping we won't get run over by a car pulling out of it's space. We squeeze between cars to "cut" through the lot to our destination. Sometimes we have to push through decorative shrubs to cross the lot. Large dim parking structures are especially dangerous for pedestrians since we can't easily be seen and finding our cars can sometimes be difficult.

I know there is a science to creating a lot or structure that works.  One must have spaces of the right width and angle, convenient entrances and exits, and an adequate number of spaces. But nowhere do the designers of parking lots allow for the pedestrians that leave the cars and have to walk in the lot. Why not? I don't know why not.  I would think it's a no-brainer.  Designated walkways in parking lots would be more efficient and most important safer for all concerned.

But wait! Safety and efficiency aren't the goal of parking structure builders.  The real goal is fitting the most cars into the smallest space. Parking lots and structures are just storage for cars. The fact that people on foot must  also navigate them is incidental to the builders' goal.

I knew that all along, but whenever I wind my way through a parking lot, pushing through bushes and crossing busy lanes to my car I always think that someone somewhere should design a parking lot for cars AND people.

No comments:

Post a Comment