Thursday, August 18, 2011

Wanted: Construction Guys

I have done a lot of remodeling and updating of houses since I bought my first one in 1981.  That beauty was only 19 feet wide inside and had all the space upstairs in the 4 bedrooms.  We updated the kitchen and built a deck. The kitchen wasn't the greatest job but we were learning.  Our next house was built in 1956.  It was solid, with plaster walls and hardwood floors. In 1959 someone cut a hallway through a bedroom to create a den so the kids' bedrooms were especially small. In that house we updated the kitchen, completely remodeled a bathroom and pushed out the back of the house 7 feet. That's a lot in 6 years. Most of the work we did ourselves or hired subcontractors to do things like drywall and electrical.


Now we are getting ready to remodel the third and last bathroom in our current house.  We hired "guys" to do the previous two bathrooms and they are really beautiful.  Simple, clean, and relaxing. Those "guys" are no longer available so I have to find new guys.


In my first two houses my plumber, tile guy, demo expert, and painter lived on site so he was very reliable. Always arrived when he said he would, did a great job, and kept the place clean.  All I had to do was take care of the kids, feed him lunch, and help out with jobs requiring no great skill. Things like painting base boards and calling out, "Yes, the lights are out" so he wouldn't get electrocuted. Now my "guy" isn't interested in doing plumbing and such so I have to look around for others. In the past finding guys has been difficult.  You call and call and they never call you back.  Then once they've deigned to take the job, they start and stop and start and stop until you just want to fire them and call someone else. Of course "someone else" won't be any better, so you just smile through your gritted your teeth and try to be friendly so they will finish and GET OUT!


New experience this time around.  I called three tile setters and all three called me back the SAME DAY! I can't believe it.  In four days I've gotten 3 tile estimates and am expecting a plumbing estimate by email any time! Wow! One day a tile setter and a plumber were here at the same time to give me estimates. They knew each other so it was a veritable party.


It's the economy of course, but I love being an actual customer someone is eager to please. I feel like I'm in charge for a change.  Usually I feel like I'm an annoyance and the contractors are in charge. My job interrupts their lives and is not too important. Someone else's job always takes precedence.


I don't know if this great attitude will continue once we give one of them job, but I'm hopeful. I am sorry that the economy is lousy, but I'm lovin' my little piece of remodel heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment