Sunday, July 17, 2011

Schnitzel and Beer

First let me say that writing on an iPad is difficult so if I misspell words or leave some out don't rush to criticize. Secondly, I am astonished to be sitting here in Salzburg, Austria having just finished a meal of broccoli soup, wiener schnitzel, and potatoes. Every American should be required to travel, I think they would lose their sense of superiority. Here the lakes are clean, the streets are swept free of debris, and public transportation is easy. Everyone has health care, the roads are maintained, and it is important for people to have relaxation. So important you can get a prescription to go to a spa for a week! My kind of culture!

We spent a day and a half in Munich before traveling on to Salzburg. We went to the castle Disney modeled his Cinderella castle after. Built by king Ludwig II of Bavaria it was a mass of tourists and ate up half a day for a 30 minute tour. I'd take a picture of it from the bottom and ride the luge lots more times.

Apparently the Germans and others have these luge parks all over, some better than others. This one pulled you and your luge up a hill and then let you go to race down the steel switchbacks as fast as you could go. Pull back on the handle to brake, forward to go. Just like being 8 again. Two times was not enough!

I could go on about Munich but it needs it's own page. Loved and hated it. It's a young city with a diverse population and a conservative bent. Much of it is drab, spare, and colorless. But I have to remember that most of it was destroyed in the war and buildings had to go up fast to house the 300,000 homeless people living there after the liberation. The old (restored) parts of the city are fascinating and beautiful. I learned a lot about art at the world's first art gallery and some about architecture gazing at churches and city buildings.

So before I go I have to say; yes I've drunk lots of beer, had dinner at the Hofbrau Haus served by a typical buxom Fraulein, and paid to use the toilet everywhere we've been. The scenery has been spectacular, the food wonderfully fattening (I feel like a thanksgiving turkey being fattened up for the feast). The others on our tour are intelligent, friendly, interesting, and fun to be around. We are the second oldest people on the tour. Two Texas gals are our elders at 70.

Mein Gott I better stop meandering all over the place. Next time I'll try to get some kind of organization in place but for now..

Our windows open to the fresh night air bringing the sound of rain on rooftops into the room, I can barely believe I'm lucky enough to be here.

2 comments:

  1. When I was in Munich, there was no luge for tourists, at least none that I knew about. Sounds like great fun. Six Flags needs to add one. Then maybe I'd go to Magic Mountain again. Or not. Maybe I'd just go back to Munich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful recap of our trip. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete